Safe Routes to New Providence High School and Middle School
Our 8 DROP-n-GO‘s are safe locations where a parent can drop their child at New Providence High School (NPHS) / Middle School (NPMS)l and go on to their destination. They are a short distance from school, often in view of a crossing guard and along a sidewalk. They enable the driver to avoid congested areas. PARK-n-WAIT’s are 4 less crowded places to meet.
1. NPHS / NPMS CIRCLE – Pull all the way forward. Note that the INNER lane is for drop off at the curb. Pull forward to the sign. The OUTER lane is for people moving through the circle. The outer lane has the right of way. Alternate merge in and out of Circle.
2. MUSIC WING – Traffic enters from Westview Avenue or High Street. Drive West on Pioneer Drive. Passengers exit to sidewalk. Do not drop off on Eastbound side because students will have to walk in front of oncoming traffic. Do NOT pull into lot during drop off.
3. WESTVIEW AVE – Drive West on Westview. Exit Providence Street to High Street to South Street.
NPHS / NPMS have 8 DROP-n-GO’s and 4 less crowded places to PARK-n-WAIT for your student.
DROP-n-GO or PARK-n-WAIT
4. POOL PARKING LOT – Traffic enters from Springfield Ave, North of school. Drop students near bridge. Snow plowed for students.
5. SPRING STREET – Traffic coming from the South. Please no U-turns. Students exit onto sidewalk. Use crossing guard to cross Central and Balcom. Walk along Balcom and Pioneer to New Providence High School & Middle School.
6. MEE Lane – Traffic coming from the West. No sidewalks, so students should exit on the same side of the road as the school bridge! Miss the traffic completely. Drivers should watch until your student has crossed the foot bridge.
7. GALES Drive– Traffic coming from the East. Turn onto Gales, go a few car lengths forward, and have students exit right onto sidewalk. Within sight of OLP (Our Lady of Peace) crossing guard. Do NOT use OLP parking lot!
8. Alternative Gales – Traffic coming from the East. Location is NOT within sight of the OLP crossing guard, but has a direct sidewalk to that guard. Turn off Gales onto 5th street and have students exit right onto the curb PARK and WAIT.
If you want a printed version for your car here is your PDF version NPHS / NPMS DROP & GO Handout
Other useful New Providence Interactive Map features
In a hurry? Our tips
- Pull ALL the way forward during drop off to allow more cars to drop off at once during periods of high congestion.
- Turn right instead of left. It’s faster. If there is a line of cars behind you, then consider turning right instead of left – Especially when exiting Balcom to Central Ave or High Street to South Street
- Drop off your students earlier.
- Use a DROP-n-GO or PARK-n-WAIT – See our 8 options above.
- Have your child walk or bike.
- Avoid the front circle a few times a week and overall traffic will improve.
- Ten ways to reduce school traffic next September provides detail.
Help us win free money! #WalkNP
- We win Safe Routes to School Grants by demonstrating that we use our sidewalks to folks who have never been here.
- Take a picture of your family walking to or school, preferably excluding kids faces. Walking Wednesdays or any day.
- Document your walk or roll with #WalkNP and post to Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook.
- Report obstacles and hazards through the borough website’s contact us page.
- Think an intersection on your route could be safer, but the solution is expensive? Prove it with pictures, bring state and federal tax dollars home, and win our next Safe Routes to School grant.
- For the last grant, state officials said we had the best documentation that they had seen!
- Bring home a celebratory gold patch this fall
Useful Safe Routes to School Links for town
- Times and locations for New Providence Crossing Guards
- Communications from Principals
- District Walk/Bike to School Days – Usually the 2nd week of school and near Earth Day
- DROP-n-GO pages for Allen W. Roberts and Salt Brook Schools.
- Routes of Travel – The safest way to walk or bike to school for each neighborhood. Also where to be careful.
- New Providence Middle School has won NJ Safe Routes to School’s Silver level of recognition and we helped the Borough win Gold. (Recognition program is K-8.) Thanks everyone for your help!
- See our School Travel Plan for an overview of our efforts.
Background on New Providence High School and New Providence Middle School
New Providence Middle School & New Providence High School are co-located
35 Pioneer Dr
New Providence, NJ 07974-1515
NPHS Phone: (908) 464-4700
NPMS Phone: (908) 464-9161
Public | Grades: NPMS 7-8, NPHS 9-12
District: New Providence School District
- Middle School ~370 students
- High School ~675 students
- Middle School 7:55 am – 2:45 pm
- High School 7:44 am – 2:46 pm
- Building opens at 7:15 am